Thursday, June 24, 2010

A good day


I'm wrapping up the day, and I wanted to touch up on it, since it's been a pretty interesting sort of day. Earlier, my group and I went to a meeting with the Armenian Ambassador. It was a pretty amazing opportunity to meet with a high ranking official. As it turns out, he's a really cool guy. He's smart, but not arrogant and he's sociable, but not unintelligent. He wanted us to have a conversation instead of him lecturing, so we were able to ask him a few questions. He answered all of our questions in such a balanced way, I was ridiculously impressed at his ability to never tell us exactly what he was thinking. I suppose I really got to see diplomacy at work for the fist time ever.

Throughout the two hours we spent with him, he could tell I was really bothered by some of the less encouraging topics we talked about; I guess I'm not as good at hiding what I'm thinking on my face. He kept reminding me not to get too upset or discouraged by the gravity of things. I think he's right because I realized something very important throughout the meeting. Of course, I could be upset that Armenia is landlocked and blockaded on both the East and the West. I could be sad that Armenia's borders were drawn in a way that made it resource-less while surrounded by resource rich countries. And finally, I could be furious that Armenia is not prospering as quickly as my impatient self wants it to be. But in the end...that gets me nowhere but depression. I think that in the end of it all, it's only thanks to Armenia's potential progress and difficulty that I have the possibility to fight for something unique. Without these hardships for Armenia, I don't think I would have quite the same connection or the same urgency that I have today. I don't think that everyone gets the chance to experience what I feel every day. For that, I can only be thankful.


PS. Check out the ambassador's expression. There's something about Armenian men. They don't like smiling in photos... but I guess he kinda tried.

5 comments:

  1. Good observation, it is especially true for the Armenian officials. They are kind of shy of being just a human: smiling, laughing and doing funny things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sat!! What a great opportunity this was for you. I am so happy to be able to keep up with your adventures! Keep up the great blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't think that everyone gets the chance to experience what I feel every day. For that, I can only be thankful."

    Dahhh these reflections are great! Keep it up. Missin you here but glad to see you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sati. miss you. and your choice of vocabulary.

    you express yourself so well.


    ps. Gag, the ambassador kinda looks like you hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, it was my very first visit to USA and the first day in the Company. I was introduced to the Company's General Manager. He was very polite and kind to me and I was extremely pleased and excited.
    In a few hours we met again in the hallway and I, encouraged by the meeting in the morning, tried to start conversation. He interrupted me with an apology and asked if I can introduce myself. I repeated my name and then he apologized again: "Sorry, I did not recognize you. You know, all Armenians look the same!!!"

    ReplyDelete