Monday, August 2, 2010

A Small Bite out of the Big Apple

Although I haven't updated in probably over a week now, my post today isn't necessarily related to anything political or professional. I am, however, working on something about a genocide film that thoroughly and somewhat unexpectedly moved me, so that will be up in the future. (Just didn't want it to be haphazarly done)

In any case, I'm writing today to briefly recap an incredibly event filled weekend. My friends and I decided to explore the East Coast. Typical as it may seem, we took a weekend getaway to New York. We were lucky enough to be housed by my friend's parents in New Jersey, who in addition to helping us avoid the hassle of staying in the city, treated us with more hospitality than we could ask for. Without going on too much of a tangent, New Jersey has got to be the most media misrepresented state. Granted we were on the New York state line and far from the shore, but I certainly did not encounter any fistpumping. The greenery and overall atmosphere was more reminiscent of the Garden State film, if anything.

Anyway, we spent two nights in New Jersey and two full days in New York. Needless to say, we didn't see everything. New York seems like a world all by itself. If ever I forgot just how small I was, one upward glance at the skyscrapers put me right back in my place. I've never seen a place like it. There is no uniform description, feel, or ambiance in New York. Here is an example of why: An entirely glass high-rise is juxtaposed next to a Catholic church on the corner of Wall Street (surprisingly narrow) and Broadway. The variety was endless and the sights in New York were just mesmerizing. Walking up and down its streets is an ongoing adventure, with something entirely new everywhere you look.

Besides the fact that we were disguised as potential locals in my friend's cream colored Jetta, we were true tourists when it came to sight-seeing. Upon arrival Friday night, we rushed to Times Square, which was my only disappointment of the weekend. At the time, my mouth was probably open the entire 15 minutes as I stared at the flashing lights. In retrospect though, I don't think I gained very much. Times Square, in many ways, reminded me of the tackiness that Vegas plays host to. I'm certainly glad I visited it, but am I dying to go back? Not really.

The Statue of Liberty was an experience I enjoyed. Even though she is surprisingly small, Lady Liberty is a sigh to behold. On the island, I felt a certain serenity. For some reason, the statue seemed human to me, and I liked being around her.

I don't want this post to be too long, but I think the highlight of the weekend was when we, on a whim, went to dinner on the upper East Side. Since we were already there and famished, the girls and I decided we might as well spoil ourselves a little. After consulting Yelp, we decided on an Italian restaurant near Lexington Avenue. When we arrived, we discovered the place closed on Sundays. Briefly disappointed, we looked around, and finally picked a cozy Indian spot a few doors down. I found the name, Chola, a bit funny though. But the decor was lovely and the food was pretty darn delicious. Not to mention, I felt, ironically enough, uncomfortable at how good the service was.

In the end though, I'm not sure I could live in a place like New York. Maybe the reason I fell much in love with DC is because it's a big city with a small town feel. But to be frank, I think I'm being far too quick to judge. After all, what grounds do I have to voice an opinion after only 48 hours?

2 comments:

  1. "uncomfortable at how good the service was"...you didn't think my Indian people would take care of you well?

    and i agree. the media's portrayal of jersey really demeans the state. jersey is a beautiful place with some really amazing people of which the majority are not guidos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sati,
    I am fascinated with the role Garegin Njdeh had in the history of our Nation. This is his brief biography on Youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBC2Eu8ZIr8&feature=player_embedded#!

    ReplyDelete